The ferry is an affordable and reliable option to travel to Vieques in our recent experience, though this has not always been the case.
Here’s what you want to know.
Purchase tickets in advance and arrive an hour before the scheduled departure for the best experience to travel from Ceiba to Vieques on the ferry. Do not arrive at the ferry dock 15 minutes before your departure time and expect to be allowed to board. Can you imagine the chaos if all of the passengers decided to do this?
20% of ferry tickets are sold in advance online at and the remaining 80% are sold only at the ferry terminal. Schedules and ticket sales usually open the previous month, though there is not an exact date to release the schedule for the next month. Check the ferry website frequently to see when tickets are released for purchase so that you secure one of the 20% sold online. Don’t panic if ticket sales aren’t opened until the last day or two of the month — they will open!
If online tickets are sold out for your desired departure time but there is a later ferry ticket available for online purchase, purchase the later ticket. Monitor the ferry website for the number of tickets available for sale at the box office for your desired time, and you can decide if it is worth traveling to the ferry dock to exchange your ticket for an earlier ferry.
You will not be able to bring your rental car from the main island to Vieques. The cargo ferries are reserved for residents of Vieques only.
Residents of Vieques board the ferry first so please patiently wait your turn at the ferry dock in Ceiba, and non-residents will board next. The ferry from Ceiba to Vieques is usually 45 – 60 minutes depending on the boat. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!
When you arrive at the ferry dock in Vieques there will be publicos (taxi vans) to provide transportation to hotels and guesthouses for a per person charge.
Beinvenido a Vieques!